Accused Bondi Beach gunman Naveed Akram has appeared in court for the first time on Monday.

The 24-year-old faces 59 charges, including terrorism, 15 counts of murder and 40 counts of attempted murder over the mass shooting at the Chanukah By The Sea event on December 14.

The mass shooting left 15 people dead, with 10-year-old Matilda being the youngest victim, and injured dozens of others.

Akram made his first public appearance since his arrest, appearing via video link from Goulburn’s Supermax prison, as the court extended the existing suppression orders of those injured in the attack.

He appeared on screen in green prison clothes, with a shaved head and long stubble.

Akram spoke only when Deputy Chief Magistrate Sharon Freund asked if he heard about the extension of suppression orders.

“Did you just hear what has occurred?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Akram replied.

The suppression orders were made before Christmas and protect the identities of the dozens of survivors of the shooting, unless they wish to self-identify and tell their stories publicly

Outside court, Akram’s solicitor Ben Archbold told reporters his client was doing “as well as can be expected” in the supermax prison.

“Everyone knows it’s supermax … very onerous conditions,” the solicitor told reporters.

When asked if Akram had said anything about the attack, Archbold replied:

“I haven’t spoken to him about the attack in that regard.

“All we’ve done is start the process, we’re waiting for the brief to be served, there’s nothing more I can say.”

Archbold confirmed that he had been to the supermax prison to visit Akram, and when asked what his client was like during the visit he replied, “he’s just a client, and he’s a client that needs to be represented and we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional obligations”.

Akram’s father, the second alleged gunman, was shot dead by police during the attack.

Court documents allege that the father and son had multiple improvised explosive devices (IEDs) that were made from sealed aluminium piping containing explosive black powder and steel ball bearings.

The bombs did not detonate, and police allege that the IEDs were thrown towards a group of people at Archer Park prior to the mass shooting.

The pair also allegedly placed Islamic State group flags on inside of their car windscreen, and were captured visiting the footbridge just two days before the attack for “reconnaissance and planning”, according to court documents.

Police further allege that the Akrams allegedly conducted firearms training in regional NSW in late October.

The case will return to court in April.

Image: Nine News