3 steps to make friends after 60
As we get older, it’s common to find our social circles shrinking. It means making new friends (or reconnecting with old ones) is more important than ever, but if you find the idea of meeting new people daunting – or you’re just unsure how one goes about making friends as an adult – don’t fear, you’re not alone. Here are a few ways to stay social in your 60s and beyond.
1. Admit you want to reinvigorate your social life
It’s easy to get used to a limited social life (often you don’t even notice it happening) and tell yourself that you are happy with your own company. However, human beings are naturally social creatures and need the laughter, love and companionship that friends bring into our lives. While valuing your independence is important, be honest with yourself: are you lonely? Remember loneliness is not a character flaw or anything to be ashamed of; it’s just a sign that we need more connections in our life.
2. Make friendship a priority
Just like anything else in life if something is important to you, you need to make it a priority and work at it. Think about what kind of friends you want to make. Would you like to meet fellow over60s? Do you want to meet people who have the same passions and interests as you? It’s important to think about what type of friend you are or want to be.
3. Commit to getting yourself out there
It may feel daunting at first to join a hobby group or to ask your friendly neighbour to join you for afternoon tea, but challenge yourself to make the first move. Perhaps there’s a class you’ve always been interested in joining? Or you’ve thought about volunteering for a cause you’re passionate about? Commit to signing up! If you’re still hesitant, why not create an Over60 Catch-up on our Catch-up pages to find fellow over60s in your area? Or search the Catch-ups page to see if there’s an event in your area. It’s a great way to meet likeminded over60s over a cuppa – and you can be sure you’ll be greet with a friendly smile and great conversation.
How to organise a Catch-up:
- Visit the Over60 website and click Catch-ups in the menu bar at the top of your page.
- Once you’re on the Catch-ups page, click “New Catch-up”. You will be asked to login to your Over60 account.
- You will then be taken to a new page to create your event. Enter the details of your catch-up, including the title, date, address, RSVP details and description. Click “Create Catch-up”.
- Your event will now appear on the “Catch-ups” page.
- Visit the Over60 website and click Catch-ups in the menu bar at the top of your page
- A list of all upcoming Catch-ups will be listed. Click on the event to find out more information.
- To narrow the listing down to your area, at the top of the page you can type in your suburb and postcode, as well as the category of catch-up you’re looking for.