Food & Wine
Lemon meringue pie
Tangy, sweet, and flaky, this lemon meringue pie checks all of your dessert boxes.
- 1 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 150g of butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons of ice water
- ½ cup of cornflour
- ¾ cup of caster sugar
- Lemon zest of 3 lemons, fine
- ⅓ cup of lemon juice
- ¾ cup of water
- 3 egg yolks
- ⅛ teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 3 egg whites
- ⅓ cup of caster sugar
- To make the pastry, in a food processor, process flour, icing sugar and butter until mixed.
- Add ice water and process until mixture forms a ball.
- On a floured surface, knead and press to a circle of 15cm. Wrap in cling wrap and chill.
- Now to prepare the filling, in a saucepan over medium heat, stir caster sugar, cornflour, lemon zest, lemon juice and water until mixture comes to a boil.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl. Add filling slowly into bowl, whisking constantly. Cover and let cool for two hours.
- Meanwhile to make themeringue, in a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks form.
- Add sugar gradually, beating until meringue is shiny.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Roll pastry into a circle 32cm round and 5mm thick and place in 25cm pie dish. Let chill for 15 minutes.
- Line pastry with baking paper, fill half way with rice and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove insides and bake until golden (about 10 minutes.) Let cool.
- Pour filling into pastry and smooth.
- Top with meringue, being sure to cover the entirety of the filling, forming a seal.
- Bake for a final 10 minutes until meringue becomes golden on top.
- Let cool, serve.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.