Food & Wine
Carrot and ginger soup
A nice alternative to pumpkin soup, this carrot and ginger dish is extremely tasty and nourishing – especially on those cold winter days.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 5cm piece of ginger, peeled, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled, sliced thin
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Sour cream, to serve
- Chopped chives, parsley, dill or fennel for garnish
1. Heat butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for eight to 10 minutes or until onions are softened.
2. Add carrots, stock and two cups water to pot. Bring to simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender. Remove from heat.
3. Blend soup, in batches, using a food processor or blender until smooth. Return soup to pot and stir over low heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with dollop of sour cream and desired herbs.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.