Over60

News

Thu, 15 Oct, 2020

That’s not cabbage!

That’s not cabbage!

Shoppers who purchased a pre-packaged bag of stir fry mic from a Queensland Woolworths store say they bit into and consumed a frog which was in the food.

Kathy McGee from the Ipswich area south-west of Brisbane spoke to 9News and said she purchased the Rainbow Vegetables pack from Woolworths’ Brassall store around lunch-time on Sunday and prepared it for dinner around 5pm.

It was then that her partner said he thought he had bitten into a bad piece of cabbage.

"He was trying gnaw on it and he's a bit a bit off and he's swallowed it and he said, 'I don't know what it is, it doesn't taste like cabbage', and he pulled it out of his mouth and he realised it was a frog," Ms McGee said.

"He's pulled the whole frog out and there's a leg missing and he's quite convinced that's the part he's bit off and swallowed.

"Both of us were quite sick in realising what he'd just consumed. We were peeving."

The 61-year-old revealed that they both ran to the bathroom to throw up after discovering the animal and called Woolworths the next morning.

"(The number) took me to a menu for online orders, so I rang the shop that I bought it from and I explained my situation to them," she said.

"They passed me onto a man... from Produce. He asked me if I could send a statement and photos to his email address and he would pass it onto the appropriate people."

Within half an hour of the second phone call, the same person rang Ms McGee back and said all Woolworths could offer them was a refund and replacement package of stir fry mix.

"Nobody from wherever it was packaged has come forward and said anything about it," Ms McGee said.

"I'm still angry about it. My husband — he's a big eater but he's been very cautious about what he's eaten in the last few days and he hasn't eaten much at all, it's put him off his food.

"He's got it in his head that he's consumed a part of a frog.

"I'm not happy with the response. I'd like to see them put better measures into how they package their food.

"This was diced salad but the frog was whole, so how did it get into the package after the salad was mixed? I don't know. They obviously aren't managing their safety regulations very well."

Woolworths told 9news.com.au in a statement that it treats "food safety very seriously and are concerned about these claims".

"We're following the matter up with our salad supply partner and store team urgently," a spokesperson said.

"We're unaware of any further reports of a similar nature on pre-mixed salad products at this time."