Zesty tomato salad
Seek out the most delicious tomatoes available, preferably sun–ripened on the vine, and you will be rewarded with an incomparable flavour. Lemon, fresh coriander and mint add freshness and zest to the tomatoes in this tangy salad, which can easily be varied with other fresh herbs and flavourings.
- 500 g ripe tomatoes, sliced
- pinch of caster sugar, or to taste
- 1 lemon
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- sprigs of fresh mint to garnish
- Place the tomatoes in a large shallow dish and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Cut the lemon in half lengthwise.
- Set one half aside, then cut the other half lengthwise into 4 wedges.
- Holding the wedges firmly together on a board, skin side up, thinly slice them across, including the peel.
- Discard the pips.
- Arrange the pieces of thinly sliced lemon over the top of the tomatoes, then sprinkle with the spring onions, coriander and mint.
- Squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon half and sprinkle it over the salad.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Garnish with sprigs of mint just before serving.