Sweet Potato Pecan Pies
Time to prepare: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1½ cups (225g) plain flour
2 tbsp icing sugar
125g cold butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
1-2 tbsp iced water
500g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
½ cup (110g) brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 cup (250ml) pouring cream
½ cup chopped pecans
Whipped cream and maple syrup, to serve
1. Grease six 10cm loose-based fluted tart tins.
2. Process flour, icing sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and enough of the water to make dough come together. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 200 °C/180 °C fan forced. Meanwhile, steam sweet potato until tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
4. Divide pastry into six portions. Roll out each and line tins. Chill for 15 minutes. Line pastry with baking paper, fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes; remove baking paper and beans/rice. Bake for a further 5 minutes or until browned slightly.
5. Reduce oven to 180 °C/160 °C.
1. Blend or process sweet potato with sugar, paste, spices, cream and eggs until smooth. Pour mixture into pastry cases. Sprinkle with pecans.
2. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set. Cool to room temperature before chilling until firm. Serve topped with whipped cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Recipe thanks to Australian Sweet Potatoes
Republished with permission of Wyza.com.au.