Food & Wine
Maggie Beer's fresh raspberry cake
One of Australia's most loved foodies, Maggie Beer, shares her recipe for a delicious raspberry cake.
- 2 2/3 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup Sangiovese Verjuice
- ¼ cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare a 20cm cake pan with vegetable-oil cooking spray and parchment paper.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl and set aside.
- Put the butter and the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract. Beat in the eggs one at a time, incorporating each egg completely before adding the next. Incorporate the dry ingredients and the buttermilk, alternating between each, in two additions. Fold in the raspberries and pour into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes.
- To make the syrup, combine the Sangiovese Verjuice and ¼ cup of sugar and heat to boiling point in a small sauce pan. Continue to simmer until the syrup is reduced to a consistency that coats the back of a spoon. Take off the heat and cool slightly before spooning over the top of the whole cake or drizzle over individual pieces of cake once they have been cut. Serve with thick cream.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.