Wed, 28 Nov, 2018
We’ve all tried and loved the classic tiramisu. So we know you’ll love this spin on the much loved dessert featuring bananas! With caramel, mascarpone and coffee, this fun dish is going to be a guaranteed hit at your next dinner party and is sure to satisfy the sweet tooth of every dessert lover.
Prep: 30 mins + 3 hours chilling
- 375ml thickened cream
- 395g can or jar caramel
- 250g mascarpone
- 1/3 cup instant coffee powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 300g savoiardi sponge finger biscuits
- 10 bananas, sliced (Lady Finger or Cavendish)
- Cocoa powder, to serve
- Pour the cream into a large electric mixer. Add half of the caramel and whisk together on low speed to form soft peaks. Add the mascarpone and whisk on low speed until just combined.
- Combine coffee, hot water, caster sugar and Kahlua in a shallow dish, stir to dissolve the sugar. Dip the savoiardi sponge fingers one at a time into coffee mixture and arrange in a single layer over the base of a 5cm deep, 6-cup capacity dish, trimming to fit as required.
- Mix the remaining caramel in a bowl until smooth. Carefully spread half over the sponge biscuits. Spread over a layer of caramel cream mixture then top with a layer of bananas. Repeat the layers.
- Place the remaining caramel cream mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm round nozzle. Pipe dollops on top of the banana to cover. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- Just before serving dust generously with cocoa.
- To make this child-friendly, replace the Kahlua with ¼ cup of chocolate milk.
- To check if your dish is big enough, pour 6 cups water into the dish and it should fill the dish. Your dish can be a little bigger but not smaller.
Recipe and image courtesy of Australian Bananas.