Legal

Mon, 28 Jan, 2019Joanita Wibowo

Car crash victim "chuffed" as Prince Philip finally apologises with personal letter

Car crash victim "chuffed" as Prince Philip finally apologises with personal letter

Prince Philip has apologised for his part in a car crash that left two women injured earlier this month, blaming the accident on sunlight glare that obscured his view.

The 97-year-old royal was driving near the Queen’s Sandringham Estate on January 17 when his Land Rover collided with a Kia carrying two women and an infant. One of the women, Emma Fairweather, suffered a broken wrist from the crash.

“I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads,” Prince Philip said in an official letter obtained by The Mirror.

“I have been across that crossing any number of times and I know very well the amount of traffic that uses that main road … the sun was shining low over the main road. In normal conditions I would have no difficulty in seeing traffic coming from the Dersingham direction, but I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming, and I am very contrite about the consequences.”

The Prince also said he is “deeply sorry” about Fairweather’s injury and wished her “a speedy recovery from a very distressing experience”.

Fairweather said she was “chuffed” to receive the letter. “I thought it was really nice that he signed off as ‘Philip’ and not the formal title. I was pleasantly surprised because of the personalised nature,” said Fairweather.

“A lot of people said it was unrealistic that I wanted that human kindness from Prince Philip – which is what I saw this letter as … He’s tried to give an explanation so I appreciate that, whether I agree with it or not.”

The apology emerged following a widespread backlash of him and the Buckingham Palace over the handling of the incident. Prior to the letter, which was dated January 21, Fairweather had complained about the royal family’s lack of response.

“I’m lucky to be alive and he hasn’t even said sorry,” said Fairweather. “It has been such a traumatic and painful time and I would have expected more of the Royal Family.”

The Duke of Edinburgh was also spotted driving on a public road without a seatbelt only two days after the crash.

Meanwhile, an investigation into the collision continues. 

“As is standard procedure with injury collisions, the incident will be investigated and any appropriate action taken,” said the Norfolk police force.

“We are aware of the public interest in this case. However, as with any other investigation, it would be inappropriate to speculate on the causes of the collision until an investigation is carried out.”

Comments