Anthony Albanese’s response to a radio host’s question on domestic violence has copped backlash online.

The prime minister appeared on Hit 100.9 Hobart’s breakfast program on Monday, and was interviewed by radio host and former Home and Away actress Christie Hayes.

Hayes questioned the Prime Minister on what the government is doing to address the domestic violence rates in Australia, and the growing calls for a royal commission into violence against women.

“What’s your government doing to make serious change in this country so that we eradicate this violence against women?” Hayes asked.

“Well there’s no place for violence against women in our society, we have $4.4 billion we’re throwing at this,” Albanese said.

He then outlined the existing measures, including funding for crisis accommodation, 10 days of paid family and domestic violence leave, and the Leaving Violence Program, which provides financial support for people escaping abuse.

“Women feel like they are trapped in these relationships and because of economics they simply can’t get out, they haven’t got any money” Hayes said.

She noted that 27 women had already been killed in Australia in the first five months of the year, urging ongoing public focus on the issue.

Tensions escalated when the discussion turned to calls for a royal commission into violence against women, backed by more than 90,000 signatures in a petition by The Red Heart Movement.

“There’s calls for a royal commission about everything,” the prime minister said, prompting an immediate response from Hayes.

“Well I think deaths of women are pretty paramount, wouldn’t you say?”

“Yeah they are but you’ve got to work out what does a royal commission do besides fund lawyers,” Albanese replied.

“What we need here is solutions that we know, we know what they are, we know what’s required here.

“I understand that people when confronted with an issue will call for Royal Commission, but we know that there is too much violence against women, we know what keeps women in these relationships, we know what’s required in terms of the economic support to get out, we know there is a need for more alternative housing, we know there is a need for more Commission and for community workers and we need to get on with action.”

The comments sparked strong reaction online, with many criticising the Prime Minister’s response, saying it focused too heavily on offering support rather than prevention.

“This is a terrible response,” one person wrote.

“All that talk about what you’re supposedly doing to support victims but what about prevention?? … Listening to that made me so angry,” another wrote.

“His focus is purely tackling the aftermath of violence and no regard to the cause of violence. No mention towards prevention and tackling attitude towards male violence towards women. Soooo sooo disappointing and disgusting!” another wrote.

In a statement to news.com.au, a spokesperson for the Prime Minister said: “We will consider anything that is effective to protect women and their children. We have ongoing consultation with the sector about the best way to have an impact.”

Hayes has previously criticised government responses to domestic violence. Last year, she suggested the Prime Minister should personally deliver the news to families who have lost their loved ones to domestic violence.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I truly believe that the next time we lose a women in Australia, our prime minister should knock on the door, he should sit the families down and he should sit the kids down and say, ‘Kids, I’m really sorry but Mummy is not coming home’,” she said.

“After doing this just one time, he would make a change because nothing makes someone change like doing something they don’t want to do,” she said at the time.

Images: Instagram