A Perth grandfather who was allegedly attacked at a bar in Bali has died after fighting for his life for 10 days in intensive care.

Paul Dougan had been on holiday with friends on the Indonesian island earlier this month when he was confronted by a group of four strangers, reportedly Australians, at the One Tribe Bar in Kuta. He was allegedly repeatedly punched and kicked, then taken to hospital in a critical condition.

His injuries were severe. Mr Dougan suffered internal bleeding and 10 broken ribs, had his spleen removed, and had drains placed in his lungs and abdomen. He also underwent three surgeries and four blood transfusions.

As his condition remained critical, his family flew from Perth to be with him. This week they launched a fundraiser after his medical costs climbed beyond $70,000. In an update before his death, his son Liam wrote, “Once his drains are removed, we are expecting it to be another two weeks before he can be assessed and cleared to fly home.”

Left panel: a street scene with a circular 'one tribe' sign and a Bali Hotel storefront, greenery and outdoor seating. Right panel: two men in athletic clothes posing on a grassy field by a 'DOUGANFIT RUN CLUB' sign, city skyline in the background; one flexing biceps.

But despite donations and messages of support, Mr Dougan, affectionately known as “Rabbit”, died on Thursday night.

“It wasn’t meant to be this way Dad,” Liam posted.

In a heartbreaking tribute, he added, “I will love and remember you for the rest of my life and I will continue to make you proud.

“I am shattered, lost, heartbroken and confused but grateful I ever got to call you my Dad.”

He also thanked people who had rallied around the family, writing, “Unfortunately today we had to undergo the hardest day of our family’s lives and say goodbye to Dad.

“I am heartbroken to type this message, I’m lost, confused but I wanted to update everyone who has shown support.”

Police are investigating the alleged assault. Officers visited the Kuta bar on Thursday, and according to Mr Dougan’s son, CCTV footage exists of the incident. His alleged attackers have not yet been identified. No arrests have been made and no charges have been laid.

“They will be found and there will be justice,” Mr Dougan’s son wrote.

“But none of this will bring Dad back.”

A friend told Nine News Perth the attack was especially shocking because of Mr Dougan’s character.

“To have this happen to him, of all people, is just devastating,” the friend said.

“He’s not the kind of guy to go looking for that sort of trouble.

“He’d grabbed his partner and said, ”Let’s get out of here’. As he stood up he was confronted by a person that said, ‘What did you say?’ and pretty much didn’t wait for an answer and just struck him.”’

Back in Perth, tributes have poured in for the well-known Gosnells community member.

“Paul was a much loved father, grandfather and member of the wider Gosnells community, and his loss will be deeply felt by all who knew him,” Gosnells Football Club posted on Friday.

“On behalf of everyone at the Gosnells Football Club, we extend our deepest condolences to Paul’s children and their partners, his grandchildren, family and loved ones during this incredibly difficult time.

“Our thoughts are with the entire Dougan family, and we hope they find strength and comfort in each other and in the love and support of those around them.”