A 12-year-old boy has been charged after a bomb threat triggered a major police operation at a busy Brisbane hardware store precinct.

Emergency services were called to the Bunnings on Breakfast Creek Rd at Newstead, where nearby businesses were also evacuated while police searched the area. The incident caused traffic disruptions and diversions as authorities worked to secure the scene.

Police were still at the precinct shortly after 9am, continuing their search and managing the safety operation while warning motorists and pedestrians to avoid the area.

Authorities later confirmed no suspicious items were found and said there was no further information indicating any ongoing threat to the public.

In an update issued on Tuesday night, Queensland Police said a boy had been charged over the threats made to the business.

“The 12-year-old boy was charged with one count each of bomb hoax and using carriage service to menace, harass, intimidate and was dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act,” a police spokesperson said.