Wed, 17 Apr, 2019
7 facts that will make you fall in love with Iceland
Iceland is one of the hottest destinations in 2019. The dramatic volcanic land is a short and easy flight from Europe or the USA. It is strange and awe-inspiring. A journey here will not be forgotten.
Here are seven facts that will make you fall in love with Iceland.
- Iceland does NOT have mosquitoes.
- The English word “geyser” comes from the name of the great geyser, Geysir in Haukadalur, South Iceland.
- Iceland does not have forests.
- Iceland did burn witches at the stake in the 17th century. However, most Icelandic witches were male.
- Iceland had the first democratically elected female and the first openly gay Prime Ministers.
- About 85 per cent of Iceland’s energy comes from renewable resources. About half of that comes from geothermal energy.
- Icelandic telephone directories list people by the first name alphabetically.
Written by Alison Godfrey. Republished with permission of MyDiscoveries.