Qantas CEO Alan Joyce on what international travel will actually look like
Australia’s national carrier has hinted at how the long awaited resumption of international travel may look.
With Prime Minister Scott Morrison last week announcing borders will tentatively open for states that have reached 80% vaccine milestone next month, Australians have been told to dust off their passports.
But Qantas boss Alan Joyce is warning overseas travel will look far different than it did this time two years ago.
Speaking in Boston on Tuesday AEDT, Joyce provided details of how overseas travel will look.
Vaccine passports remain a crucial component of the flight plan.
Joyce said the airline was working with The International Air Transport Association on the technology for a digital travel pass to make the process as seamless as possible.
Travellers can expect to have to undergo up to four tests of COVID-19, one prior to departure for each flight and two while home in quarantine.
It’s yet to be established what would happen should a traveller test positive during a pre-flight test.
Under current protocol, all pre-flight tests must come back negative before a traveller is allowed to board a flight for Australia.
Joyce fears that the seven day home quarantine program, which is being trailed in NSW and closely watched in other states could be a deterrent.
“Now while seven days home quarantine is a step in the right direction – we believe over time that needs to get shorter.
“Australians coming home to visit relatives – or those eager to see friends and family overseas for Christmas – may be willing to do seven days quarantine.”
“But certainly overseas tourists and business travellers will not come to Australia if that’s in place – particularly when there is no quarantine for travellers in most parts of the world.”
The next priorities are skilled migrants that are very important for the country, as well as students.”
Welcoming tourists back into Australia isn’t expected to occur until next year, he said.
“We’re ready for take off”.