"I was struggling": Karl Stefanovic breaks silence on Today axing
Karl Stefanovic has opened up about his sacking from Today, saying it was a “relief” to be let go from the breakfast TV show.
Speaking at Nine’s post-Logies brunch on Monday, Stefanovic said his removal from the program allowed him to rest and recover after a period of “struggling”.
He told MC Rebecca Maddern: “I think I was struggling towards the end of last year. It wasn’t a great surprise to me – in fact, it was a relief in many ways that I was taken off the Today show, because I just wasn’t at my best. And you can’t be doing that show unless you are at the top of your game.
“I needed to have a rest. Towards the end of last year I was cooked.
“I think we did some great stuff but for me I needed to get away and Nine made the decision. After a month of not getting up at three in the morning, I tell you what, I was seeing things a lot clearer.
“It allowed me to rest and think … to come back and to make sure I’m OK. And for a while there I wasn’t sure.”
Stefanovic was axed from Today in December after months of negative publicity from his wedding to shoe designer Jasmine Yarbrough as well as the "Ubergate" scandal where Karl and his brother Peter were recorded having a dig at their colleagues at Nine, including Georgie Gardner and Richard Wilkins.
Karl, who co-hosted the morning show for nearly 14 years, said his married life with Yarbrough was “wonderful” as they were now able “to breathe without having too many paparazzi in the shower with us”.
The 44-year-old is set to return to television as a host on This Time Next Year.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.