Tue, 26 Feb, 2019
Simple grilled halloumi and kale salad with tahini yoghurt dressing
Try this simple kale and halloumi salad topped with a delightful yoghurt dressing, so it's still packed with flavour.
For the kale salad
100g kale leaves
½ teaspoon sea salt
30g blanched almonds
1 avocado, peeled, de-stoned and cut into chunks
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
100g radishes, thinly sliced
1 pomegranate, seeds
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
For the halloumi
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
200g halloumi, cut into 1cm-thick slices
For the tahini yoghurt dressing
100ml Greek yoghurt
½ a lemon, juice and zest for garnish
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Prep the kale by removing stalks and thick stems, and cut or tear into bite-size pieces. Put the leaves into a large mixing bowl and add the salt, crushing it between your fingers.
2. With both hands, massage the leaves with the salt for a minute or two; it will suddenly feel much softer in your hands.
3. Add all the other ingredients, mix together and set to one side.
4. Turn your grill to its hottest setting. Put the turmeric, paprika and oil into a little bowl and mix. Add the halloumi and coat in the spices and oil.
5. Place the halloumi on a baking sheet and pop under the hot grill. Allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then turn over and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off the grill but leave the baking sheet under it to keep warm.
6. For the dressing, put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix with a whisk.
7. To serve, divide the salad between two bowls, add some dressing and top with warm halloumi and an extra drizzle of oil.
This is an edited extract from The Pioppi Diet by Dr Aseem Halhotra & Donal O'Neill, Penguin Books, RRP $24.99. Republished with permission from Wyza.com.au.