Food & Wine
Adam Liaw's custard apple, rum and coconut panna cotta
Celebrity Adam Liaw shares a recipe that adds a tropical touch to your desserts.
The sweet and unique taste of custard apple, slightly reminiscent of pineapple and vanilla, is a perfect match with dark rum and coconut in this creamy and delicious panna cotta.
- 400ml pouring cream
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 tsp dark rum
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 18g powdered gelatin
- 400ml custard apple pulp and juice
- Toasted coconut or macadamia nuts, to serve
- Place the pouring cream, coconut milk, rum, honey and caster sugar in a saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin over the top.
- Heat the liquid gently until nearly simmering, stirring until all of the gelatin has dissolved. (To check this, lift your stirring spoon out of the mixture and make sure there is no gelatin granules sticking to it.)
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then stir through the custard apple pulp and juice.
- Freeze in individual moulds or glasses for at least 2 hours, or until the panna cotta is set.
- To serve, scatter the top of the panna cotta with either toasted coconut or macadamia nuts.
Recipe courtesy of Custard Apples Australia.