Food & Wine
Choc blueberry cake
A healthy diet does not have to be boring. This indulgent cake is paleo-friendly, meaning that it is free from refined sugar, grains and dairy products. Perfect for the whole family!
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- ¼ raw cacao powder
- 2 tbs. coconut oil
- 1 tbs. raw honey (or rice malt syrup)
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked overnight – if you don’t it will still work, just won’t be as smooth!)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or thawed frozen)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbs. raw honey
- 1 tsp. 100% vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup raw cashews crushed
- 1 tbs. coconut sugar
- 1 tbs. ghee or coconut oil
- ½ a batch of paleo chocolate (recipe available here)
- Line the base of a 20 cm spring form cake tin with baking paper and grease the edges with a little coconut oil.
- Start with the base. In a food processor (we use our Vitamix), place the walnuts, coconut and raw cacao powder. Whiz these ingredients until a fine meal forms.
- Add the coconut oil and raw honey and whiz until it becomes a choc butter.
- Once it’s all combined, press the base in to the cake tin, making sure you press it out evenly, covering the entire base.
- Place in the freezer.
- Now for the filling: Drain and rinse the cashews and place them in to the food processor along with the coconut milk, blueberries, coconut oil, raw honey and vanilla extract.
- Whiz until completely smooth, this will take around 5 minutes.
- Take the base out of the freezer and pour the filling on top of the base.
- Shake the tin to even out the top and place the cake in to the freezer for around 1 ½ hours or until set.
- Take the cake out of the freezer and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, time for the toppings! You'll need to make a ½ batch of paleo chocolate the place the crushed cashews, coconut sugar and ghee in a medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Stir continuously until the ghee is melted and the cashews have caramelised. Transfer these on to a plate and allow to cool.
- Rub the outside of the cake tin with a hot cloth and release the spring form slowly (you may need to run a knife around the edge).
- Top the cake with fresh blueberries, caramelised cashews and drizzle with paleo chocolate. Cut in to slices with a hot knife and store any left overs in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.