Mon, 4 Feb, 2019
Chinese hot pot with Asian greens and chilli-garlic oil
Stave off the winter chill with this tasty Chinese hot pot. With an added hit of chilli, it's sure to keep you warm on a cold night!
- ½ brown onion
- 1 knob ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ long red chilli
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 300g pork mince
- 1tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 cube chicken stock
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 ½ tbsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- 70g baby spinach leaves (handful)
- 300g ramen noodles
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil. Finely slice the brown onion. Peel and finely grate the ginger. Peel and crush the garlic. Finely slice the long red chilli (remove the seeds if you don’t like heat). Finely slice the spring onion.
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the sesame seeds and toast, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add ¼ of the olive oil, the sesame oil and the pork mince and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside. Toasting sesame seeds before adding them as a garnish to the hot pot boosts flavour and adds extra crunch.
- Add ¼ of the olive oil and the brown onion to the same pan on medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the ginger, ¼ of the garlic and the Chinese five spice. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add the crumbled chicken stock cube, boiling water and salt-reduced soy sauce. Simmer for about 3 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Meanwhile, heat a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the long red chilli, the remaining garlic and the remaining olive oil and cook for 4 minutes, or until the chilli and garlic are soft and fragrant.
- Add the ramen noodles to the saucepan of boiling water and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Drain and rinse under cold water. Add the drained noodles and the baby spinach leaves to the broth and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the noodles, baby spinach leaves and broth between bowls and top with Chinese pork. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and spring onion. Drizzle over the chilli-garlic oil (if using).
Recipe supplied by HelloFresh.
Republished with permission of Wyza.com.au.