Food & Wine
Apple and hazelnut pikelets
Pikelets are an almost instant sweet snack. The thick batter is made by simply stirring together a few basic pantry ingredients, and the pikelets cook in minutes. Here they are flavoured with diced apple and toasted hazelnuts. Top with a little maple syrup and enjoy them warm from the pan.
- ⅓ cup (45 g) skinned hazelnuts, chopped
- 1⅓ cups (200 g) plain flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt 2 tablespoons
- caster sugar 1
- large egg 1 cup (250 ml)
- buttermilk 1
- red apple, about 150 g, cored and finely chopped 1 tablespoon
- sunflower oil 4 tablespoons
- Heat a small non–stick frying pan, add the hazelnuts and cook until golden brown, stirring and tossing constantly.
- Take care not to overcook the nuts as they burn easily.
- Tip them into a small bowl.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Lightly beat the egg with the buttermilk and pour into the well.
- Gradually whisk the flour mixture into the buttermilk mixture to make a smooth, thick batter.
- Add the apple and toasted hazelnuts, and stir in with a large metal spoon.
- Lightly brush a chargrill or heavy frying pan with a little of the oil, then heat over a moderate heat.
- Depending on the size of the chargrill or pan, you can cook about 4 pikelets at the same time.
- For each one, drop a heaped tablespoon of batter onto the hot surface.
- Bubbles will rise to the surface and burst.
- Gently slip a small palette knife under the pikelet to loosen it, then cook for a further 1 minute, or until the underside is golden brown.
- Turn the pikelet over and cook the other side for 1–2 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove the pikelets from the chargrill or frying pan and keep warm under a clean cloth.
- Cook the rest of the batter in the same way.
- When all the pikelets are cooked, quickly heat the maple syrup in a small saucepan just to warm it.
- Drizzle the syrup over the warm pikelets and serve immediately.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.