Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released from police custody, with Thames Valley Police confirming he has not been charged at this stage.
Images circulated on Thursday night showed the former prince leaving custody, lying down in the back of a car. He had been taken into custody earlier that evening at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
In a statement, police said an investigation had been opened following an assessment of the allegation. “It’s important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence,” the statement said. Police added they understood the level of public interest and would provide updates when appropriate.
Reports indicate Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has not been charged, and that police may take days or weeks to review material gathered during searches before deciding whether charges will be laid. Under the law in England and Wales, police can generally hold a suspect for up to 24 hours before charging or releasing them.
The King responded with a brief statement, saying “the law must take its course” and that his family would continue in their “duty and service to you all”. It was the monarch’s second public statement in 10 days regarding his brother, again referring to him by name rather than royal title after previously stripping him of official roles.
Daily Mirror royal editor Russell Myers described the developments as extraordinary while speaking to Sunrise from London. He noted that the offence of misconduct in public office carries a potential maximum sentence of life imprisonment, underscoring the seriousness of the allegation.
Survivors and members of Virginia Giuffre’s family also responded publicly following news of the arrest. Giuffre, one of the most prominent accusers of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, previously alleged she was trafficked as a teenager. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has denied her allegations and reached an out-of-court settlement with her in 2022, with no admission of liability.
Her brother, Sky Roberts, told BBC Newsnight that he welcomed the actions taken by authorities, saying no one should be above the law. Her sister-in-law, Amanda Roberts, said the family hoped the investigation would lead to further scrutiny of past allegations. Epstein survivor Maria Farmer also described the arrest as a significant moment in what she characterised as a broader process of accountability.
Police have emphasised that the arrest relates to suspected misconduct in public office and not to sexual offences. The investigation remains ongoing.
Image: Wikimedia Commons











