Police searching for missing four-year-old Gus Lamont have charged his 75-year-old grandparent, Josie Murray, with firearms offences, stressing the charges are not connected to the child’s disappearance.

Officers confirmed the charge on Monday afternoon as they concluded another day of renewed searching at the family’s Oak Park Station homestead, about 43 kilometres south of Yunta in South Australia. Gus was last seen playing on a mound of dirt near the property about 5pm on September 27.

South Australia Police said the search would continue, with officers remaining in the area tomorrow.
“An update on the search activities will be provided as they progress,” police said in a statement.

Josie Murray was arrested following a previous search of Oak Park Station and has been bailed to appear in the Peterborough Magistrates Court on May 6.

Detective Inspector Andrew Macrae said the firearms charges were unrelated to Gus’ disappearance or to an incident in October involving media attending the property.

Earlier this month, police confirmed a person with close ties to the household – who is not one of Gus’ parents – had been speaking with detectives before allegedly withdrawing cooperation and has since been identified as a suspect. Gus’ disappearance is now being treated as a major crime.

Josie Murray and Gus’ other grandparent, Shannon Murray, released a statement through their lawyers saying they were “absolutely devastated” by a police media release issued on February 6.
“The family has cooperated fully with the investigation and want nothing more than to find Gus and reunite him with his mum and dad,” the statement said. Their lawyers indicated no further comment would be made.

Police have made it clear there is no suggestion Josie or Shannon Murray are involved in Gus’ disappearance, noting it is not unusual for people connected to an investigation to seek legal advice.

Despite extensive efforts, no evidence of Gus has been found. Detective Superintendent Darren Fielke said the operation had been the “largest and most intensive” missing person search ever undertaken by SA Police.

A full-scale ground and air search was launched after Gus went missing, covering 706 square kilometres with the assistance of 80 Australian Defence Force soldiers, drones, mounted officers and aircraft. About 163 SA Police officers have been deployed, and more than 150 Crime Stoppers tips have been received.

A three-day search of six mine shafts near Oak Park Station also failed to uncover any evidence. Police returned to the area on February 2 to search for Gus’ remains, but again found nothing.

Images: Seven News, SA Police