These Japanese marinated beef bowls with teriyaki dressing make a tasty lunch or dinner.
Marinated Japanese beef
- 550g beef rump steaks (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Chopped veges (or an assortment of your favourite fresh veges)
- 1 carrot
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 1 spring onion
- 1 baby cos lettuce
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves
- 40g teriyaki sauce (store-bought)
- 1 teaspoon mild sweet chilli sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ - 1 teaspoon water
- ½ -1 teaspoon finely grated ginger (optional)
- Pat beef dry with paper towels and cut into thin strips, about 0.5-1cm-thick. In a medium bowl, mix all remaining marinated Japanese beef ingredients together, add beef and toss to coat well. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Peel and grate carrot; cut cucumber into matchsticks or grate; thinly slice spring onion (if using); finely shred lettuce; roughly chop mint. Set all aside.
- Heat a large, dry fry-pan on medium heat and toast sesame seeds, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds, until light brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to high heat with a drizzle of oil. Stir-fry beef, in batches, for about 1 minute, until just cooked through. Set aside, covered with foil, to rest for a few minutes. Mix all teriyaki dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- To serve, spoon rice into bowls and top with marinated Japanese beef, a mixture of chopped veges and mint. Drizzle over teriyaki dressing and sprinkle over sesame seeds.
Written by Nadia Lim. Republished with permission of Stuff.co.nz.