Over60

Travel Trouble

Qatar airport confirm dumped baby is still alive

Qatar airport confirm dumped baby is still alive

Doha, capital of Qatar, airport officials have confirmed that a newborn located in one of its terminals is alive and well.

Earlier in October at Hamad International Airport, staff discovered an infant, described as a premature baby, "abandoned" in the terminal bathroom.

After this incident, female Australian passengers were allegedly invasively searched, and the Australian Government has since "formally registered our serious concerns" with Qatari authorities.

Women at the airport, including 13 Australians, were allegedly removed from flights, detained and forced to undergo an invasive inspection in an ambulance on the tarmac.

None of the women were told about the abandoned newborn before the strip searches began.

An Australian Government spokesperson told 7NEWS that it is “deeply concerned” at the “unacceptable treatment of some female passengers on a recent Qatar Airways flight at Doha Airport”.

“The advice that has been provided indicates that the treatment of the women concerned was offensive, grossly inappropriate, and beyond circumstances in which the women could give free and informed consent.

“The Government has formally registered our serious concerns about this incident with Qatari authorities.

“The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is engaged on this matter through diplomatic channels.”

A Hamad International Airport spokesman told 7News that the newborn infant was found on October 2.

“The newborn infant was immediately provided with medical attention and care,” he said.

“Medical professionals expressed concern to officials about the health and welfare of a mother who had just given birth and requested she be located prior to departing HIA.

“Individuals who had access to the specific area of the airport where the newborn infant was found were asked to assist in the query.”

The newborn remains unidentified, and “is safe under the professional care of medical and social workers”.

However, Shadow Resources Minister Joel Fitzgibbons said that authorities should "await confirmation about the accuracy of the report".

“If true, this effectively amounts to state-sanctioned sexual assault and we should all be very, very concerned,” he said.

“And the government here in Australia should be most robust in its responses.”