“The letter didn't seem loving”: Duchess Meghan’s father Thomas Markle speaks out
The Duchess of Sussex’s father, Thomas Markle said he did not intend to share a letter his daughter wrote to him, but did so because he felt “pressured”.
The 75-year-old’s decision to release the note has landed him straight in the centre of a legal battle between both Prince Harry and his wife, and the Mail on Sunday.
However, while he did not have any intention to release the contents of his daughter’s heartfelt letter, he said he wanted to defend himself after it was first mentioned publicly in the American magazine, People.
"I decided to release parts of the letter because of the article from Meghan's friends in People magazine. I have to defend myself,” he said.
"I only released parts of the letter because other parts were so painful. The letter didn't seem loving to me. I found it hurtful.
"There was no loving message in there, nothing asking about my health, nothing from her saying, 'Let's get together and heal our differences'."
People quoted a “friend” of the Duchess, who chose to remain unnamed, who said the royal felt that her father did not understand her desire for privacy.
Mr Markle had suggested the two should pose together for a press photo.
However, the retired lighting director argued he did not want a picture “for any other reason” than to be left alone.
"I don't want a picture for any other reason than if we show harmony then the press will back off,” he said.
"When I opened the letter I was hoping it was the olive branch I'd longed for.
"I was expecting something that would be a pathway to reconciliation. Instead it was deeply hurtful.
"I was so devastated I couldn't show it to anyone - and never would have, had it not been for the People magazine piece which meant I had to release portions to defend myself."
Last week, Prince Harry accused the tabloid press of a “ruthless campaign” against Duchess Meghan.
He added: “lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces."
He continued: "Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one.
"Because my deepest fear is history repeating itself. I've seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person."
This week, the Duchess of Sussex began legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday, claiming it had breached copyright, infringed her privacy and breached the Data Protection Act by publishing her letter.
The Mail on Sunday released a statement saying it intends to defend itself "vigorously" if the case ends up in court.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.