Mon, 4 Mar, 2019
Roger Federer ends speculation with massive call
Roger Federer has reportedly confirmed that he will be playing at the 2020 Dubai Open, ending speculations that 2019 will be his last year on tour.
After winning his 100th ATP title at the Dubai Open last weekend, Federer reportedly told a tournament official that he will be returning next year.
The tournament sponsor seemed to confirm the news during the official presentation.
“We congratulate Roger Federer on his fantastic achievement in winning 100 titles, and winning here in Dubai for the eighth time, more than any other player,” said Colm McLoughlin, executive vice chairman and CEO of Dubai Duty Free.
“It is remarkable that his first title here came as long ago as 2003, and we look forward to welcoming both Federer and our ladies champion Belinda Bencic again in 2020.”
With the Sunday win over Greece’s Stefanos Tsitsipas, Federer took his career tally to 100 ATP titles, making him the second man in the Open Era to do so after American legend Jimmy Connors.
Welcome to the “ Triple Digit” tournament victory club @rogerfederer — I’ve been a bit lonely- glad to have the company !!!
— Jimmy Connors (@JimmyConnors) 2 March 2019
Rumours of Federer’s retirement have started since February, when the 37-year-old expressed his interest in returning to a clay court after a three-year hiatus. Many speculated that Federer aimed to take the French Open title in June before hanging up his racquet.
However, Federer denied this before his opening round at the Dubai Championships.
“This doesn’t mean this is my last clay-court season, whatever, or I had to play one more time before I retired. That was not the thinking,” the 20-time Grand Slam champion told reporters.
“That’s not the reason why I’m putting the clay back on. It was purely based on I would just like to play. We can always readjust the schedule accordingly depending how I play the clay. The calendar is always flexible.”