Alex O'Brien


Tue, 29 Dec, 2015

Dog rescues sick grandmother from house fire

Dog rescues sick grandmother from house fire

Darkness was setting in on Christmas Eve and Noreen Lucas was feeling frail and tired from pneumonia. She decided to pass on a festive dinner at a relative’s house, deciding to rest up at home before Christmas Day. The family left for dinner, leaving Noreen and their faithful dog, a move that would later save the grandmother’s life.

Shortly after her son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren left the house, Noreen drifted off to sleep on the couch. Describing herself as “comatose,” so heavy was her sleep that she didn’t notice the smell of smoke filling the home.

Suddenly, Noreen was woken by the family dog, Rex, who dragged her off the couch and pulled her across the living room floor towards the front door.

Shocked, she saw the hallway engulfed in flamed. After quickly regaining composure, Noreen did her best to find the other family pets and rescue them from the fire, before escaping from the flames.

“I was so comatose so when Rex dragged me I knew something was wrong, and I wouldn't be alive without that dog," Noreen told CTV news.

If it weren’t for their loving family dog Rex, the family’s Christmas could have been far worse.

Take a look at amazing story in the video above. 

Related links:

Vacuum cleaning tricks you’ll want to know about

4 stains you shouldn’t use water to clean

More great vintage household tricks from the 1900s