10 ingenious gardening tricks
For the gardeners among us these helpful hacks will not only save time and money but are also much more eco-friendly for the garden. Tried and tested by gardening enthusiasts around the world, these 10 clever tricks will help you make the most of your garden.
1. Reuse citrus rinds (and eggshells) to start seedlings
2. Pluck some holes in a milk carton and use as a watering can
3. Cut up a milk carton to use as a shovel
4. Slugs love beer so set a beer trap for them
5. Prick a hole in the lid, turn upside down and a wine bottle will do the watering for you while you’re on holiday
6. A shoe holder can be transformed into a vertical garden. Great for herbs.
7. Now there’s a purpose for all those toilet rolls – use them as planters!
Credit: Instagram @osugr8fulmama
8. Use cardboard milk cartons to help celery grow straight and intact
Credit: Instagram @mygardenofeating
9. Sprinkle cinnamon on soil after planting seeds to kill fungus and mould
10. Use PVC piping with holes for aeration of compost
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.