Scrumptious corn fritters
In this recipe, crisp, juicy corn kernels are added to a thick batter flavoured with chilli and fresh coriander, and then pan-fried in big spoonfuls. Piled on a bed of watercress and drizzled with a minted spring onion and yogurt sauce, the fritters make a quick, easy meal.
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 ml low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (400g) frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 fat fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 heaped tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oi
- l100 g watercress, trimmed
- 1 1/4 cups (310g) Greek-style yogurt
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- First make the yogurt sauce. Put the yogurt into a serving bowl and stir in the spring onions, mint, lime zest and a pinch of salt.
- Cover and chill while you make the fritters (keep the lime juice for use later).
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the milk and eggs.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix together the milk and eggs, then gradually draw in the flour from around the edges.
- Beat with the spoon to make a smooth, thick batter.
- Alternatively, the batter can be made in a food processor: put the milk and egg in the container first, spoon the flour and baking powder on top, and process for a few seconds to blend.
- Add the corn kernels, spring onions, chilli and coriander to the batter, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Heat a large, heavy frying pan, then brush with a little of the oil.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the fritter batter onto the pan – make about 4 fritters at a time – and cook over a moderate heat for 2 minutes, or until golden and firm on the underside.
- Turn the fritters over using a palette knife, and cook on the other side for about 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove the fritters from the pan and drain on paper towel.
- Keep warm while cooking the rest of the fritters in the same way, adding more oil to the pan as necessary.
- Arrange the watercress on 4 plates and sprinkle with the lime juice.
- Arrange the corn fritters on top and serve hot, with the yogurt sauce to be drizzled over.