Thu, 20 Dec, 2018
Palace favourite: The Queen's royal pastry chef shares secret Christmas recipe
Royal fans have been given a special glimpse into how the Queen spends Christmas Day with her family.
The Queen’s royal pastry chef has released a secret recipe from the kitchen of Sandringham House – and it is a Christmas favourite!
Sharing the “Christmas Ginger Bread Biscuits” recipe on the Royal Family’s official website, one of the royal pastry chefs revealed a special tip to those who attempt to make the festive treat.
"It's always best to let the dough rest, so it's great if you can make the dough the night before," revealed one of the royal pastry chefs.
"You can also roll out the dough, cut the shapes and put them in the freezer for an hour. This ensures they keep their shape nicely," the chef continued.
View this post on Instagram
As part of the Christmas celebrations, Royal Pastry chefs have shared their Ginger Bread Biscuit recipe! Follow the link in our bio to find out more and try baking them at home. Together the team in the Kitchens at Buckingham Palace will create thousands of sweet treats and canapés for the receptions hosted at the Palace throughout the year – but Christmas time is especially busy. These Ginger Bread Biscuits can be even be personalised and are sturdy enough to hang on your tree as decorations. #BuckinghamPalace #Christmas #baking
The royal chef said the biscuits can be decorated with icing and you can even add a special touch by personalising each one.
Here is the recipe:
Christmas Ginger Bread Biscuits
Makes: 10 (50mm diameter) cookies
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 100g unsalted butter
- 75g dark brown soft sugar
- 25g granulated sugar for dusting
- 45g milk
- Icing to decorate
- Sift together the flour and spices, add the diced butter and crumb together with your fingertips.
- Add the milk to form a paste. Wrap in film and allow to rest for minimum 2 hours (best left overnight).
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Roll out to approximately 3mm (but depends on the size of the cookie you wish to make), cut shapes out and lay on to greaseproof paper or silicon mat. Sprinkle with a little granulated sugar before baking at 180C until set.
- Allow to cool fully on a cooling rack before icing with your choice of design.
Will you be making gingerbread biscuits this Christmas? Let us know in the comments below.
Recipe credit: https://www.royal.uk