Food & Wine
Mango chicken salad
Here is a very special salad – new potatoes, slices of tender grilled chicken and asparagus tossed in a fresh orange dressing while still warm and then gently mixed with juicy mango slices and baby salad leaves. It makes a delicious and well balanced meal all on its own.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, about 175g each
- 800g new potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 large sprigs of fresh mint
- 125g asparagus spears
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced
- 150g mixed baby salad leaves such as English spinach, and cos and red coral lettuces
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- salt and pepper
- Put the garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sunflower oil in a bowl and whisk together. Add the chicken breasts and turn to coat both sides, then leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan, pour over boiling water to cover and add the mint sprigs. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. At the same time, put the asparagus in a steamer basket or metal colander, cover and set over the pan of potatoes to steam. Cook thin asparagus spears for 4-5 minutes, thick spears for 8-10 minutes, or until just tender.
- Drain the potatoes (discard the mint) and leave until cool enough to handle, then cut into thick slices. Cut the asparagus diagonally into 6cm lengths.
- Preheat the grill to moderate. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on the grill rack. Grill for about 15 minutes, brushing frequently with the marinade and turning once, until cooked through and the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with the tip of a knife. Leave to rest for 3-4 minutes, then slice.
- To make the dressing, put the orange zest and juice, mustard and sunflower and walnut oils in a large serving bowl, and whisk together until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the warm sliced chicken, potatoes and asparagus to the serving bowl and gently toss together to coat with the dressing. Add the mango and salad leaves and toss gently again. Serve immediately, while still warm.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.