Food & Wine
Healthy chicken salad with tahini dressing
The ingredients for this salad are presented individually on a platter rather than being mixed together, with a simple tahini–based dressing so everyone can help themselves. Careful and neat slicing of the vegetables will improve the overall presentation of this dish.
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
- 300 g (10 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
- 1 tablespoon mirin or sake
- 10 cm (4 inch) piece telegraph (long)cucumber
- 2 carrots
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), seeded
- 2 baby cos lettuces, leaves separated
- ½ cup (10 g) fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ cup (6 g) fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 8 spring onions (scallions), halved lengthwise
- 1¼ cups (115 g) sliced button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt–reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- chilli powder, to garnish (optional)
- Place the chicken breast fillets on a heatproof plate in a steamer over a saucepan of boiling water.
- Sprinkle with the mirin or sake and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cover and steam for 10–12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the tahini dressing, mix together all of the ingredients, except the chilli powder, in a bowl.
- Drain the cooking juices from the chicken and add enough water to measure ⅓ cup (80 ml).
- Add to the dressing, mixing well to combine.
- Add a little more lemon juice, if needed.
- Pour into a serving bowl and sprinkle with chilli powder, if using.
- To make the salad, cut the cucumber, carrots and red capsicum into fine strips of similar length, about 5 cm (2 inches) each.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves at one end of a large platter.
- Scatter with the chopped basil and mint.
- Cut the chicken into strips and place on the lettuce.
- Arrange all of the other salad ingredients on the platter.
- Serve with the dressing on the side for guests to help themselves.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.