Fri, 2 Nov, 2018
Goat's cheese toasts
Indulge your guests with these tasty morsels, made by topping toasted slices of crusty baguette with slices of roma tomato and tangy goat's cheese, sprinkled with pine nuts and fresh herbs. Choose your favourite type of goat's cheese: delicate or strong in flavour, soft or firm in texture.
Makes: 16 toasts
- 1 baguette, about 280g, cut into 2.5cm slices
- 4 tablespoons passata
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 4 roma tomatoes, about 250g in total
- 150g goat's cheese
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts,
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme or oregano, plus extra to garnish
- Preheat the grill to moderate.
- Place the baguette slices on a rack in the grill pan and lightly toast on both sides.
- Mix together the passata and tomato paste and spread a little on top of each toast, covering the surface completely.
- Slice the tomatoes lengthwise, discarding a slim slice from the curved edges, to give 4 flat slices from each tomato.
- Lay a slice of tomato on top of each toast.
- Place 1 small slice of firm goat's cheese or about 1 teaspoon of soft goat's cheese on top of each tomato slice, and drizzle over a little oil.
- Scatter on a few pine nuts and thyme or oregano leaves.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese is beginning to melt and the pine nuts are golden.
- Serve the toasts hot, garnished with sprigs of thyme or oregano.