Food & Wine
Enjoy a healthy burger with egg-free sweet potato and lentil patties
Fantastic for a healthy burger or served on their own, these patties are the perfect light meal for entertaining!
Time to prepare: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
500g sweet potato, peeled, cubed
½ cup brown lentils
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon turmeric
60g baby spinach, roughly chopped
⅓ cup plain flour
Natural yoghurt and lemon wedges, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place sweet potato on tray and drizzle with half of the oil.
2. Bake for 15-20 minutes until tender. Mash in a bowl and set aside.
3. Cook lentils in a pan of boiling water for 15-20 minutes until softened. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan on medium. Cook onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add spices and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add spinach, stirring until just wilted.
5. Transfer to bowl with lentils and sweet potato. Mix well and season to taste. Chill until cold. Form into patties and toss in flour to coat. Place on a baking paper-lined tray.
6. Heat oil in frying pan on medium-high. Cook patties for 2-3 minutes each side until golden. Drain on paper towel. Serve patties with yoghurt and lemon wedges.
Brown lentils are also labelled as green lentils. They are larger than the French lentils.
For a gluten-free option – replace plain flour with gluten-free flour.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.