Food & Wine
Carrot and walnut cake
This carrot and walnut cake is the perfect delicious treat that hits the spot everytime.
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 75 g walnuts, chopped
- Shredded walnuts to decorate
- 250 ml sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 200g carrots, coarsely grated
- 300g self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease two deep 20cm round sandwich tins and line the bases of the cake tins with baking parchment.
- Put the oil, eggs, and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Whisk until the mixture is well combined, lighter, and noticeably thickened. Gently fold the carrot into the cake batter, then stir in the flour, baking powder, mixed spice, ginger, and chopped walnuts until evenly blended.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the tins. Put the cakes in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown, risen, and shrinking away from the sides of the tins. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, put the butter, icing sugar, cream cheese and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk using a hand or electric whisk until smooth and thoroughly blended.
- Spread half the icing on one cake, sit the other cake on top, and spread the remaining icing on top to make a swirl pattern. Decorate the top of the cake with the halved walnuts.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.