Food & Wine
Barbecued prawns with a twist
Ah, is there anything as nice as the smell of prawns on the grill on a balmy summer’s evening. This recipe is a tasty variation on a classic seafood dish that will make you want to fire up the barbecue time and time again.
- 4kg green tiger prawns (peeled and deveined with tail intact)
- Stalk of lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- Mango, peeled stoned and finely chopped
- Tablespoon of finely grated ginger
- Tablespoon of lime juice
- Cup of vegetable oil
- Teaspoon of mustard powder
- 2 egg yolks
- To begin, prepare your prawns by combining with lemongrass, lime leaves and oil in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for one and a half hours to marinate.
- As they marinate, prepare your mayonnaise, by blending mango, ginger, lime, juice, egg yolks and mustard powder in a food processor until smooth.
- While the motor is still running, add the oil in a thin, steady stream. If you’ve done this right the mixture will appear thick and pale. Season to your taste with salt and pepper.
- Barbecue on a high temperature, turning occasionally for five minutes or so until the prawns start to curl and change colour. After this serve and enjoy!
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 178 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.