Food & Wine
Banana, date and walnut cake with cream cheese icing
This scrumptious banana, date and walnut cake has kindly been shared by community member, Anne Taylor. It’s easy to make and tastes too good.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups pitted dates, chopped
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups walnuts
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 60g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup ripe mashed bananas
- ½ cup of butter, slightly softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
1. Grease a 14cm x 21cm loaf pan; line base and two long opposite sides with baking paper, extending paper five-cm above edge of pan.
2. Combine sifted flour, soda and nutmeg in a large bowl; stir in dates, walnuts and brown sugar. Make a well in the centre, add juice, butter, eggs and bananas; mix with a wooden spoon until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
3. Cook the loaf in a moderate oven, 180º C, for about one hour, or until cooked when tested. Place a sheet of foil over the cake half way through the cooking process. This will keep the loaf from burning. Stand cake in pan for five minutes; turn out onto awire rack to cool.
4. To make icing, use an electric mixer to cream butter and cream cheese on medium speed till smooth. Add milk then icing sugar one cup at a time. One all of the icing sugar is added, mix on high speed for 30 seconds to one minute. Once cake has cooled down, you are set to ice and then serve.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.