Food & Wine
Prawn and tofu stir-fry
Fresh, flavoursome and very delicious this recipe makes one of the tastiest prawn and tofu stir-fries you’ll try and is a great way to get your greens.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 green prawns, peeled, deveined, tails left intact
- 1 bunch Chinese broccoli, cut into 5cm lengths, or 3 bok choy
- 4 asparagus spears, trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths
- 2cm ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 300g medium tofu, drained on paper towels, cubed 3cm
- Steamed brown rice and thinly sliced
- Red chilli to serve
- Heat half the oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat.
- Season the prawns with salt, then stir-fry for 3 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok.
- Stir-fry the broccoli and asparagus for 1-2 minutes (if using bok choy, stir-fry for two minutes before adding the asparagus), add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry for a further minute.
- Add the white and black pepper, sugar and oyster sauce and mix to combine, then carefully add the tofu and prawns and cook for 2 minutes or until warmed through, taking care not to break up the tofu too much.
- Serve on brown rice, sprinkled with chilli.
Written by Olivia Andrews. First appeared on Stuff.co.nz.
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 178 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.