Food & Wine
Bang bang chicken noodle salad
Spice up your lunch with this refreshing chicken noodle salad. This light, flavoursome dish is easy to make and serves as the perfect midday meal.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 thumb of ginger, sliced
- Half a cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 2 celery stalks, cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 100g bean thread noodles
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoon water
- Place the chicken in a saucepan, add the ginger and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave to steep for another 20 minutes.
- Toss the cucumber, celery and carrot with the rice vinegar, sugar and salt and set aside for an hour or two. Pour boiling water over the noodles, leave for 4 minutes, then drain.
- To make the sauce, combine the peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sweet chilli sauce, sugar and peanut oil in a bowl, whisking well until the sugar dissolves.
- Add a dash of water to lighten to pouring consistency.
- Drain the chicken and finely slice across the grain, discarding skin (strain the stock for future use). Toss the noodles with the lightly pickled vegetables then divide between four plates.
- Arrange the chicken on top and spoon the peanut sauce on and around.
- Scatter with sesame seeds and serve with chopsticks.
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 175 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.