Food & Wine
This delicious plum cake is complete with a crumbly golden crust and beautifully tender juicy plums. It’s the perfect morning or afternoon treat.
- 9 black plums (tinned are fine)
- 115g butter
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 170g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Icing sugar, for sprinkling
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease a cake tin well and set aside.
2. Cut plums open; drain on paper towels.
3. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Beat egg yolks lightly, then add in with milk and mix well. Sift in flour and baking powder and fold together.
5. Beat egg whites to soft peak and then fold them into the mixture lightly with a knife.
6. Spoon batter into tin, place plums on top, cut side down.
7. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve warm with cream or ice cream.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.