Food & Wine
Ginger and miso glazed eggplant
Sweet, caramelized and melt in your mouth. For a fancy spin to your eggplant dish, this recipe will delight your tastebuds.
- 1 tablespoon Japanese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons fine caster sugar
- ¼ cup white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 8 Japanese eggplants, cut in round slices
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Black sesame seeds, toasted, to serve
1. Preheat a grill to high.
2. Place the Japanese rice wine, sake, sugar, miso and ginger in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for two minutes and set aside.
3. Brush the cut side of the eggplant with sesame oil. Place, cut-side up, on a large oven tray lined with foil. Grill for four minutes or until lightly golden. Brush with the miso glaze and cook for a further 6–8 minutes or until golden and the eggplant is cooked through.
4. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds to serve.