Food & Wine
Perfect for dinner through the week, this chickpea curry isn’t just tasty; it’s also healthy, cheap and filling.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5cm piece root ginger, grated
- Pinch of garam masala
1. Heat a deep saucepan (with a lid) and add the oil. Cook the onions and garlic, until the onions are caramelised.
2. Add the salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red chilli powders. Mix for a minute and tip in the tomato. Cook the sauce until it begins to thicken.
3. Add four tablespoons water and stir. Then tip in the chickpeas and mix. Cover and simmer for five minutes. Then add the ginger and the garam masala. Cook for another minute.
TOP TIP: Best served with rice.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.