Apple sponge cake
Light, fluffy, and filled with juicy warm apple pieces – what’s not to love? To make this yummy cake even more wonderful, be sure to serve warm from the oven with a scoop of ice-cream.
- 60g butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- Ice-cream or cream, to serve
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 whole clove
- 1 slice of lemon peel
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C.
2. To make the stewed fruit, fill a saucepan with one-cm of water and add sugar, clove and lemon peel. Bring to boil, stirring. Add fruit. Cook gently, covered, for about 10 minutes or until tender. Spoon stewed fruit into the base of a 20cm pie plate or casserole dish.
3. In a bowl, using an electric mixer beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add egg, beating well. Lightly fold in flour, alternately with milk.
4. Spread mixture evenly over fruit in casserole dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until top is firm and golden. Serve warm with ice-cream or cream.