Raspberry banana cake with passionfruit icing
Everyone needs a little cake in their life – and if you’re going to indulge, you want to do it well. Step in this delightful raspberry and banana cake with passionfruit icing. Heaven on a plate.
- Melted butter, to grease
- 125g butter, chopped
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g frozen raspberries
- 125g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 40g butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup pure icing sugar
- ¼ cup fresh passionfruit pulp
- Raspberries, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 10 by 20cm loaf pan with melted butter. Line the base with non-stick baking paper.
2. Stir the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until the butter melts. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
3. Stir the egg, sour cream and banana into the butter mixture. Sift flour, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add banana mixture and stir until well combined. Fold in the frozen raspberries.
4. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake for one hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for five minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. To make the icing, use an electric beater and beat the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar in a small bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in half the passionfruit pulp.
6. Spread the icing over the cake. Top with raspberries and drizzle over the remaining passionfruit pulp.