Thu, 13 Sep, 2018
Urgent recall: Lead found in makeup range
An eyeliner has been pulled from shelves nationwide after high levels of lead were detected.
Australian consumers are being advised to check their cupboards after a warning was issued on Hashmi Kajal, Hashmi Tube, Hashmi Surma and Hashmi Kohl Award eyeliner products.
The eyeliner, made in India and distributed by Oasis Corporation, was recalled by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission on Wednesday.
The eyeliner, which contains 84 per cent lead, was also found to be contaminated with dangerous metals such as Mercury and Arsenic.
The makeup product was removed from 12 stores across Western Australia after three children in NSW experienced elevated levels of lead in their blood after using the product in June.
Tests found that ‘Hashmi Surma Special’ contained 84 per cent lead content and the ‘Hashmi Kohl Aswad’ eyeliner contained 29.5 per cent lead content.
The products were sold in specialist Indian and Pakistani stores in Victoria, NSW, ACT, SA and Queensland, as well as being available online.
Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria, Simon Cohen, said it was important consumers were aware of the danger in using these makeup products.
“Consumers should stop using these products immediately and we encourage anyone who comes across these items to contact Consumer Affairs Victoria," he said.
NSW Minister for Better Regulation, Matt Kean, told the Sydney Morning Herald: “Inspections have so far shown that the Hashmi brand eyeliner products are sold predominantly in stores stocking Indian and Pakistani goods.”
“Some of the product packaging even specifically states that no lead is present, which is a total disgrace.
“I'm absolutely appalled by this as we know that use of cosmetics containing lead can have long-term health effects, including brain and kidney damage, in both adults and children.”
Australian Consumer Law states that any supplier who fails to comply with a mandatory safety standard can face fines up to $220,000 for individuals and $1.1 million for a body corporate.
Consumers have been advised to stop using the products immediately and seek medical advice.
If the products have been used, shoppers have been advised to wash with water any part of their body that has been exposed to the makeup.
The makeup can be returned to the place of purchase for a full refund.