“Terrifying”: Warning for homeowners after deadly fire hazard
Homeowners are being warned to avoid making detrimental mistakes and to be aware of little-known hazards in their homes after a family had a terrifying experience with their clothes dryer when it burst into flames.
The family were sitting in their loungeroom on a Sunday evening in Murrumbateman, NSW when their clothes dryer caught on fire while it was running unattended.
Simon McGrath from the Murrumbateman Rural Service told the Canberra Times that although the family was lucky not to have been injured, that leaving a laundry appliance unattended was a “a common occurrence in Australia in winter”.
“A terrifying event for a local family,” the fire brigade wrote on its Facebook page.
“Please check lint filters. And never leave your dryer on overnight.”
The family were quickly and swiftly able to move the clothes dryer outside and extinguish the fire with a garden hose.
Join our community of over 400,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.