money & Banking

Danielle McCarthy

Coles shopper makes dangerous discovery on broccoli

Coles shopper makes dangerous discovery on broccoli

A Brisbane shopper has found a redback spider crawling on his broccoli that he purchased from Coles.

The shopper said he was unimpressed when he found the venomous spider on the produce but was even more frustrated after the response he claims he received from the Chadstone store where he bought the broccoli.

1 (116)

"I don’t write these publicly as I understand things can happen and don’t like to bring it into the public’s view, which is why I tried to resolve this privately. But so far I’ve been unhappy with your response," he wrote on Cole’s Facebook page.

"I purchased some groceries... when I got home to do some cooking I noticed a little critter on my broccoli.

"Not wanting him to escape somewhere I sprayed some bug spray in there. I then called your Chadstone store immediately to let them know, so they could check their fresh food produce to make sure there are no others around.

"They thanked me for letting them know and hung up before I could ask for some more broccoli as I no longer had any I could eat."

The customer said that Coles had not responded to him after he privately messaged the company to see if he could pick up some more broccoli next time he was in the store.

"Your website says that you’ll provide a replacement or refund if I contact your online team, which I have done and was promised... but still haven’t received anything," he said.

"I’m pretty easy going, I’m not kicking up a stink – but I feel like my matter wasn’t taken very seriously, otherwise it would have been resolved by now.

1 (115)

"I feel like I did the right thing by you by calling up your store immediately and letting them know, I feel like you are yet to do the right thing by me."

Fourteen hours after he posted the message, a representative responded to him and said they were “sorry to hear about this disappointing experience”.

"So we can look into this for you, could you please private message us with your best postal address," the rep finished.

A Facebook user commented on the post, asking why the shopper didn’t “just rinse it off rather than spraying your food".

The shopper said, “I could have, but I didn’t – I wanted to avoid touching it.”

A spokesperson for Coles told Yahoo7 the supermarket chain is taking the matter seriously.

"Coles takes the quality of all our products seriously. We have contacted the customer and will follow up with our supplier to investigate the matter," the spokesperson said.