10 facts you didn’t know about Meryl Streep
Today marks the 70th birthday of Hollywood heavyweight Meryl Streep who has proven time and time again she is a force to be reckoned with.
Born 22nd June 1949 in Summit, New Jersey USA, Meryl first came on the scene in the late ‘60s when she performed in several Broadway productions. Eventually in the ‘70s, Streep transitioned to films and thus began her iconic entryway to become one of the most beloved and talented actresses of the 20th and 21st century.
Streep won Oscars for Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie’s Choice and The Iron Lady among a league of numerous nominations.
The Hollywood star went on to have four children with sculptor Don Gummer, whom she married in 1978.
Here are 10 facts you might not know about Meryl Streep.
1. The world-famous actress has had such a wildly successful career which has led to Oscar nominations. Due to this, she has broken her own record of being the single actress to be nominated.
2. She supported Hillary Clinton in the 2016 US Presidential elections and joined the campaign.
3. Streep was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Obama in November 2014.
4. The veteran actor has a master’s degree in Fine Arts received from Yale University.
5. Streep studied acting in NYC with Michael Howard.
6. Meryl donated a wardrobe of hers from her 2011 film The Devil Wears Prada, to a charity auction.
7. She also donated her entire salary received from 2011’s The Iron Lady to the Women’s History Museum.
8. Streep is worth an estimated whopping US$90 million.
9. When the beloved actress was just a teenager, she quit opera lessons and took up smoking and cheerleading instead, according to an interview she had with Forbes.
10. When Meryl was 23, she thought of becoming an environmental lawyer. Unfortunately, she slept through an exam and took that as a clear sign that the career path was not the right one for her.
Scroll through the gallery above to see the life of Meryl Streep through pictures.