Some jobs in the kitchen get done every day. We wash up, we sweep, we wipe benches. It’s quite satisfying at the end of the evening to see the kitchen all neat and tidy.
Then there are other jobs that get left at the bottom of our to-do list.
Things like scrubbing the inside of the microwave to remove the who-knows-what leftovers that seem to have exploded all over the place.
But it doesn’t have to be a tricky job, and in fact there is a relatively pain free way to do it that you may just not know about yet.
- Place a plastic container into the microwave half filled with water and one tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Microwave this on high for 2-3 minutes. This will create steam, which will help to loosen the gunk on the walls, ceiling and door.
- Leave the door closed for 10 minutes and then open and remove the turntable and roller. Place them in hot soapy water to soak.
- Wipe the insides of the microwave with a clean, hot, damp cloth.
- Spray the cloth with all-purpose spray if there are some hard to remove stains. Rinse the cloth well and spray it again to clean the outside of the microwave too.
- Wash the turntable and roller in hot soapy water. Air dry or dry well with a tea towel, then place back into the microwave.
Tips for keeping your microwave cleaner:
- Heat and cook items with a loose lid on top to avoid splatter.
- Give the outside of the microwave a going over every time you clean your cupboards.
- Clear up spills and mess immediately to avoid it cooking and burning onto the inside.
Have you ever had a spectacular microwave-fail? We would love to hear your funny stories in the comments.